Thursday, March 6, 2014

A World of Different Fire Extinguishers

I am very smart. About some things. I am very ignorant. About some things. Some things I used to be ignorant about I am no longer ignorant about. Fire extinguishers are one of those things. So apparently there are different types of fire extinguishers. Some squirt foam to smother a fire and some squirt a chemical substance that quells the fire. This second type is not fun to take in the face. Anyway at some point Voyageur and I were riding around camp in a vehicle. There was some sort of water pistol fight going on amongst the staff. I believe it was a weekend so no Scouts in camp. We liked a friendly bit of rivalry at camp. Between troops or between staff from the different camps. It was all good. So some people had water pistols and were trying to sneak up on others and squirt them. Cool. But as Voyageur and I were coming up the road towards Buckskin we were set upon by a group of Buckskin staff. They were driving one of the ubiquitous blue ford pick-up trucks. Only they were driving dangerously fast, had staff members sitting on the edges of the truck bed and they had one of those massive metal can/water pumps used to put out campfires that get too unruly. They soaked us and several others as they passed by. Now this could just have been my ego and it's certainly not a rational reaction but Voyageur and I were enraged. At camp you're supposed to drive ridiculously slow (<5 mph), always wear a seat belt, and have your headlights on at all times. We by no means did this because we felt it was overkill. But we adhered to a personal code of safety that was clearly violated by this racing truck with the staff members on the side squirting water from this massive pump. So we went to get revenge. We followed the truck and as they got out at the dining hall I grabbed the closest thing I could find that I felt rivaled the big red water pump they were firing: a fire extinguisher. In my mind I pictured streams of foam covering the staff and joyful frivolity ensuing. However I had one of those chemical fire extinguishers I told you I was ignorant about. Ooops. No joyful frivolity, just stinging eyes and yelling. Things wound down quickly. I was verbally assaulted by the head of Buckskin, a retired cop trying to stick up for his staff. When he yelled, "Why did you do that?!" I yelled back about that they attacked us and I thought it was foam. He was not amused, I did not care, his staff was breaking all sorts of rules so he had no leg to stand on. I was given an order to keep a distance of 100 ft. from the young man whom I had targeted, we'll call him M. I found this order amusing, but since we spent no time together it didn't bother me much. Apparently M was upset though and had vowed to kill me. Cookie told me this. She shared a cabin with another kitchen staff member who was dating someone from M's group. After lunch they would all gather and discuss the event for a few weeks. M would actually say he wanted to kill me. At one point Cookie reported he was carrying around a butter knife. I'm not making this up. M's dad spent too much time hanging out with teenage staff members. Just thought I'd add that last part.

1 comment:

  1. The restraining order was the best part of it all. It was totally unenforceable, and unnecessary. Cookie was great! She needs her own post.

    ReplyDelete