Thursday, January 22, 2015

Off the Wagon

My last post, which is still in draft form was about my six mile run.  It was a good run and I kept the pace under 10 min a mile which was my goal.  But unfortunately, it has been my last run for a bit.  I travelled and then got a little sick and then got more into bike riding.  All excuses.  The plan is to start up again next week.  Week 2 is essentially the same as week 1, just with a 7 miler on Saturday v 6. 

I have been enjoying the hell out of my new bike.  First, everything is tight and accurate on it.  I had grown used to some of the foibles of my old bike, the fact that the shifting was a bit of a hit or miss proposition, that the bike may choose to change gear of its own accord etc. 

What I love most about this new bike is the performance when I come off the seat and stand on the pedals.  I had largely given up on standing up to climb hill on my old bike because the front shock absorber would continually articulate up and down with each pedal stroke.  So even though I was expending quite a bit more energy, there was no real increase in performance.  The same is not true on the new bike, it is like having a little bit of an afterburner now! 

I am sure over time that I will forget about how much faster this bike is compared to my older one and wish for an even faster bike.  However, I feel that I am very much in the region of diminishing returns.  A bike that cost several times what my bike does may be a bit faster, but the real thing that is slowing me down right now is my own level of fitness.  So I will be focusing on that for the near/far future and enjoying the hell out of my new ride.

With the chiller weather, there are less people using the path so not so many stories of crazy individuals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment